Introductions

Hi. Meghan here…

I am going to be college student soon and I am trying to figure out just where it will take me. I guess I am interested in making rewilding a part of my educational experience. Maybe after a couple years in school I will find a way to break out and start “living the dream,” so to speak. It is just kind of hard because most of the people I know would definately [font=Verdana]not[/font] want to hear about me foraging or butchering roadkill, especially after I go to university.

Also, I am leaving a friend and teacher behind next year in order to go to the school, and I hope that I can find some other means of support, becuase not having him there in case I have a psychological breakdown is kind of hard to imagine.

Its okay though. I have a feeling that things are about to get much better. :slight_smile: Especially now that I found this supurb forum.

welcome meghan and all the other new folks!

meghan, where are you going to school?
chances are there’ll be some rewilders in your area.

I’m will.I live out in the woods near Jville,Oregon.I hate civilization but i use the net to get good survival tips and to study shamanic practices :-X

hey everyone,
just about 18 yrs old here living in the land of suburbs and smog, southern california. got into primitive and post-civ issues via my connections to anarchist politics and started reading derrick jensen. endgame was the book that basically turned me against civilization as a whole instead of just the hierarchy that it maintains. other than that, i just love biking, hiking, and all kinds of other stuff. :wink:

[quote=“thunder thighs, post:622, topic:67”]welcome meghan and all the other new folks!

meghan, where are you going to school?
chances are there’ll be some rewilders in your area.[/quote]

I’ll be at UNC, Chapel Hill. I’ve done some research and I think that there might be a handful of people there acquainted with Ishmael.

I hope you’re right!
Thank you,
Meghan

Hello all,

My name is Shawn, I am 24 years old and I live in northeastern Ohio. My life has been kind of a strange journey. I never met my dad, my mom died when I was in middle school, and my aunt raised me until I headed to college. Everyone seemed to have huge expectations as to where I was heading in life when I first headed to school. I, however, had a hard time rationalizing anything I studied while at school. Beyond the simple mechanics of English and mathematics, everything I learned at college was something I could have easily taught myself by reading. Well, thousands of dollars, 3/4 of my required credit hours and no degree later, here I am. I haven't been to school in 2 years and I don't plan on going back. I wish to live a life that is meaningful to me, and I just don't see that happening with a Bachelor's and a desk to go to every morning.

My interest in rewilding, even though I didn’t even know what the concept of rewilding was at the time, actually began at a very young age. I spent a lot of time at my grandparents’ house when I was younger, and my babysitter lived next door to them. This meant that I would get to see my babysitter and her husband even during times they weren’t watching me. My babysitter’s husband was retired and loved to share his interests with others. It turned out he was fascinated by primitive lifestyles and the evolution of man. He loved to read me books on all things primitive. He even taught me flint knapping, how to make arrows and how to fashion knives and other tools out of bone.

The next step in my interest was fostered by my step father, who had a love for the forest and mountains and would take me out west to experience them every year via backpacking. Whether it was backpacking out west, bow hunting out east or fishing in a combination of the two, I felt a real primal urge to return to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle every time I was outside of my house.

While these two experiences gave me a push out of the door when it comes to rewilding, I can really only credit myself for fostering this interest into something productive by educating myself more on the subject. I must admit, I was ignorant to the principles of what rewilding actually meant when I first stumbled upon this site. I found this site when I googled “squatting on public land.” I found a thread in the forums that was an exact match. My intentions were to live for a summer on forest service or BLM land. I then decided to register to the forums, and began the process of reading the material in the Online Rewilding Primer. Since that day I have been reading my ass off about the subject and have finished reading nearly every bit of info in the primer, including all of the 30 theses, before posting this.

As far as rewilding my lifestyle, I am very torn as to where I am heading in my life when it comes to rewiliding, and I think if I were single it would be much easier to make the decision. I really want to leave civilization, but I am kind of stuck at the moment. I am starting a paleo diet next week though, and hope to share my experiences on these forums so long as they are still available. :stuck_out_tongue: I kind of regret not finding this site a few years ago.

welcome Shawn!

it’s nice to see how people find their way here. most of us have had the urge and desire to rewild before we could even put it into words. I often wonder how many “unconscious” rewilders are out there, probably interacting on a daily basis without even being aware of each other, or that their yearnings aren’t at all that strange and uncommon.

it’s good to have you around.

Hi, I’m Liana. I’m 21 and I live in Indiana. I’m currently in school, majoring in art, I was hoping to go into illustration. Even after recently reading Urban Scout’s post about school, I do feel like there’s a lot of shit I’ve had to learn at school that I payed for and will probably never use, but I am confident that at least I can use illustration and my skills to help promote and even inform about rewilding. That’s been my recent challenge to myself, to figure out how to show how rewilding culture can be so much better than people usually imagine it to be.

As I kid I really got into nature and ecology, and since then have cared about it a lot. More recently I learned about people going out and living in the wild because they were sick of civilization. It became a dream, and I got some books and wanted to learn skills to get ready. Then with lack of support i sort of drifted out of that and then started eating paleo (I love eating paleo food) and I’m now learning more about rewilding. Of course, I want to learn more about how I can talk about it with friends and family about it when it does come up with them. I have one friend who agrees that hunter/gatherer life would be better, her reason is because of the free time available, but she seems to second guess it by saying that she grew up in the city most of her life. I guess I want to learn how to be encouraging and not make it sound like I hate people, I don’t hate people, I feel sorry for people because civilization makes our lives shit, and we just accept it. I want people to know better than that.

awe. I never meant to talk that much shit about school. :smiley:

If you’re heart tells you to do it… DO IT! And yeah, school can be useful to those who can do it… I’m just not one of those people! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome to the forum!

Yo I’m Logan. 20 years old and living in Utah. I don’t usually use these forums… or the internet much for that reason, though god knows how people can communicate with others without it these days. It’s just always seemed a little strange to talk to other human beings through a little metal box to me (that’s why I bravely boycotted the beast that is Myspace) and recently begun to realize that it didn’t seem strange because I was strange but because communicating through a little metal box is strange… not me. Anyway, I’m fairly new to the whole rewilding, primitivism stuff and I’ve realized through reading stuff like Zerzan and… that other dude, that I almost completely agree with what they’re saying. But I guess I’ll leave the details for the threads.

I grew up Mormon but then suddenly my family left the church (short version). I guess that was my turning point. The situation forced me to really see things how they really are and question things and, through many little revelations, here I am. I’ve always liked the great outdoors and such but haven’t really gotten into it aside the occasional hike or camp-out but this summer I’ve got a lot more in mind. Opes gotta split, hit me up and whatnot. Oh and I’ve been thinkin about moving to Oregon :o

Hello All. I’m Barney & I live in South West Texas in a small town. I can drive 5 minutes in any direction and be in the country. I want to get back into camping and hiking, wilderness camping. I want to learn wilderness survival and self sufficiency. I look forward to building my own hobo stove and starting a fire without matches! :slight_smile:

Hello Logan and Barney, welcome to the forum!

Hearty greetings from Tokyo Japan. This site resonates deeply with me and provides enormous inspiration. My thanks to all contributers. Born and raised in New York, I have resided in Tokyo for over a decade as a translator. Tom Brown’s books, along with the intense urban surroundings, led me to question my lack of connection to subsistence. In the past few years, I have pursued classes in outdoor living skills/awareness and permaculture, and volunteer for a sustainable culture center. Although I have Japanese friends with similar interests, it would be a thrill to connect with rewilders in Japan, especially in the Kanto region. Along with the more physical skills, my interests lie in building community and organizing meetups. I have just created a rewilding group for Japan:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildingjapan/

I expect most of the information there will appear in the Japanese language. Though still in the planning stage, the first Rewild Camp will tentatively take place near Koma Station in Saitama, Japan on June 27-28.

Hello, my name is Andrew. I live in SLC Utah. I have to say right off the bat, im very excited to see other members here from utah. I have been actively engaging in the destruction of civilization for at least 2 years now. IM 25 and am married. My primary inspiration comes from Derrick Jensen, Whom I have read all 15 or more of his books. I consider this a good start.

I have also read several other books and authors, just for a taste almost 100 books this year.

I am a student, and a teacher. I have been teaching art for nearly 5 years now, and currently going to colledge to teach on advanced level. It is my opinion , and I will quote DJ now " the great thing about everything bieng so fucked up, is there is plenty of work to be done everywhere you look". I think along this thought there is great work to be done, especially in the education system. I will hopefully teach most students ( as I am a art teacher ) how to purify water for this area. * a taste of the rewilding in me *

I am a fine artist and have been established as such for some time. I do spend alot of time painting and it was a personal investigation that lead me into the destruction of civ, to get back to a way of living that is sustainable for the planet.

I was introduced to this forum, by a member of the derrick jensen forum, Bereal. I dont know if the user name carries to this forum, but Thank you Bereal * whom ever you are * for introducing me to this forum.

Civilization is undoubtably killing this planet. And again I will quote derrick " Dismantle globally and renew locally" this is one of my major life goals. i will do whatever it takes to hault the destructivness of this culture, the mysogyny , … the very foundation of this culture, to the best of my abilities. I am an awesome teacher and one of the things I try to do is constantly engage people around me with these topics.

I consider myself a recruiter in this reguard. I will spend time on campus just asking people about their views of capitialistic gain structure ( etc ) and go on to talking about sustainability, about food, water, and air - * those things absolutly necessary for survival that we are absolutly destroying *.

I think joining up with this forum will only help me , and others in reaching a common goal I see here of attaining a realistic lifestyle of sustainability, of … rewilding.

Further, I do enjoy the atmosphere and love that I have allready felt from some members of this forum, and from what posts I have read ( and thats not much ). The sure amount of empathy and understanding to eachother is an experience in of itself, that deserves much attention - I dont experience this in my day to day life. I can and may beable to experience such here, and am hoping and looking forward to that.

I am also a philosophy major, i have one course left. I do not posit much to philosophy, however alot of it has given me grounds to make some good arguments, against the use of it. Also I have study psychology, philosophy, anthropology, and sociology to great extents. I could easily minor in each of these subjects. The point bieng i have at least a diverse educated background.

I have much to say, and many stories Id like to share. That of my child hood, struggles with drugs, and how I came back to bieng a more… functional? person, that is in reguards to protecting myself… and that is my sense of self that extends beyond this body,to the non humans and humans around me.

I firmly state, I will do whatever I can, to the best of my abilities , to hault Civ, and to renew those local communities locally , to … " rewild ".

I thank you all dearly for your time and consideration,

andrew

ps. i make alot of spelling mistakes. I hope this isnt to much troubble. I didnt see a ‘spell check’ option. If its very frusterating, I will be more than happy to copy, and paste into another program to spell check. I am hoping it will be ok that I am making mistakes, and hoping further that those typing errors are not to grand as to prevent communication. again, thank you for any consideration in this reguard.

Welcome Godzilla and Andrew!

By the way, Andrew, bereal/jessica helps moderate this forum, so yes, you should find her here. :wink:

29, male, happily married.

I love walking and being outside. On a grey day I feel “under the weather” only until I get outside.

I live in North Texas. We “own” a very modest house on a small lot in what was once blackland prairie, but now near an automotive assembly plant and 2 major sports franchises. The subdivision was platted in the late 1940’s and the trees have grown. My street is being re-built and you will be pleased to hear that it has been narrowed by 3 feet. (When does that ever happen?)

I need to complete my Master in Landscape Architecture in December, but I don’t have a thesis. My problem is that I want more wilderness and less built area (yet I expect employment which will utilize my education). My creditors and I would be very thankful for some direction.

Hey I’m Russell. 18 from Idaho, now living in Fort Collins, Colorado for another couple months. I am planning on heading down to live in Flagstaff after that. I am working hard on rewilding and finishing up an Anthropology degree in school. If anyone from Norther Colorado wants to do a little rewilding this summer, I am planning on being away from civilization for most of it.

I do a lot of activist work (both community oriented and environmental) but daily life is starting to wear me down and I will hopefully be completely feral in several years. ;D

Well met, Everyone. I call myself Sacred Sage Leaf. I currently Live in the town of Marlton, in the Southern Part of the State of New Jersey. Rewilding and Primitivism interest me greatly, and i hope to learn many great things in this community.

I began to study and practice these ideas three or four years ago. I eventually want to live completely self sufficiently, and perhaps with Others who feel as i do, in a Simply living, Primitive Tribe. I wish to use Rewilding in order to learn how many different areas of life work on a simple level, without brightly coloured prepackaged conveniences or pointless overcomplicated abstractions to get in the way.

Peace and Blessings to all of You.

Hello.

I’m WindDancer. Or Amber, if you prefer.

I’m 14 (and 1/2…) but please don’t automatically assume that I’m incompetent or any of the other things most do. I’m also going to hope I didn’t just insult anyone by making an assumption, myself, that the usual response will come from more open-minded people. Despite my age I’m not exactly new to primitivism or anarchy, because I’ve spent the past five years of my life living with old hippies who, though despise the system, seem to revel in the pleasures of it, much to my cunfusion… :-\ But, more on topic, I am new to rewilding specifically. But, I’ve always been interested in the earth, self-sufficiency and the more indigenous, ‘primitive’ ways of living since I could remember.

Anyway, I’ve been lurking for quite a while now, and finally decided I might as well speak up if I ever want to be an active participant, instead of just being an observer/fan of rewilding.

I’m in Reno NV, a recent move from north CA, and I hope to go up to Canada to completely rewild in a few years – one of the major reasons I decided to actually speak instead of just observe. But, I’ll get into that in my posts on the forum. ;D

… To end this superly-long-majigish-beast of a post…

Hello everybody. It’s a pleasure to meet you all. :smiley:

Welcome Greene One, Russell, SacredSageLeaf, and WindDancer!

Hope to hear more of your stories